• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gee thanks Microsoft… [Happy birthday]

Ouren

I just got this email from Microsoft.

ehTsMtA.gif

Happy Birthday, _________,

Over the past year, you may have excavated endless tunnels, caught the latest flicks, discovered brand new apps, and explored ancient worlds – all on Xbox Live! No matter how you've chosen to spend these last 12 months, we'd just like to say:

We hope you had a great year.

Here's a little something to brighten your day – an Xbox Live Rewards birthday cake! Just print it out, follow the instructions, and snap a picture with the completed cake. Then, tweet the picture to us at @XboxLiveRewards along with the hashtag #XboxLiveRewardsBirthday so we can personally wish you a happy birthday!

From us to you – happy birthday! Here's to the next one being even better.

Xbox Live Rewards Squad

They want me to print this out, make the papercraft, and tweet them a picture of the stupid papercraft using the hashtag so that
presumably
a bot will tell me happy birthday on twitter.

So generous.

?

—————

UPDATE
https://vine.co/v/hxhdaAgziEr

update 2: bad stuff
https://vine.co/v/hxhp0qnOMTz

Satchel

Banned
Yeah I got that today too.

It's the "birthday" of when you joined rewards I think.

We've had this thread before though.

trinest

Yeah, $0.25 per year was too much for them so now they're making you pay for a paper cake instead.

Pretty sure they have been doing it for a few years now, but I'm sure this years cake isn't as awesome looking as last, or maybe I'm just nostalgic for it.

But in all seriousness they really need to do something else, I get the sentiment but who really will print it out or care about it.

(I got my email today....)

Yeah I got that today too.

It's the "birthday" of when you joined rewards I think.

We've had this thread before though.

Wait I joined rewards close to my birthday?

Hmmm

Ghazi

Why couldn't Microsoft not suck, the old XBL Rewards was better than how it is now.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss my 25 cents.

jaded_up_

Banned
Can you print out the cake, eat it and post pictures of this on NeoGaf?

This seems more productive than what MicroSoft wants you to do.

Alchemy

But its cool customer engagement and utilizes social media!

Stupid things idiot marketers have said.

Pretty sure they have been doing it for a few years now, but I'm sure this years cake isn't as awesome looking as last, or maybe I'm just nostalgic for it.

They've given 20 MSP and no cake until they changed to real money this year. Getting 25 cents just isn't the same.

shink

I thought this was going to be a complaint of the small points they give you and I was going to say all I got from Sony was some free PS Home junk.

This seems even worse though. Having to make effort to receive a happy birthday comment.

UFRA

Build their little papercraft, but then take a black marker and black out all of the Xbox branding on it.

vg260

I always thought the complaints about the miniscule birthday gift erred on the side of silly customer entitlement. Every customer has a birthday, and I don't feel companies are beholden to give free money to every customer once a year just for still existing (and having registered). If a company wants to do that as a promotion, that's great, but it's absolutely unnecessary and giving anything to every person who registers for free should not be expected . Those scoffing at this I feel are off-base. Of all the things they do that deserve criticism, not giving you enough money on your birthday is not one of them. Any issues about the value of Live are a separate issue.

I always thought the complaints about the miniscule birthday gift erred on the side of silly customer entitlement. Every customer has a birthday, and I don't feel companies are beholden to give free money to every customer once a year just for still existing (and having registered). If a company wants to do that as a promotion, that's great, but it's absolutely unnecessary and giving anything to every person who registers for free should not be expected . Those scoffing at this I feel are off-base. Of all the things they do that deserve criticism, not giving you enough money on your birthday is not one of them. Any issues about the value of Live are a separate issue.

Huh? They created the expectation of being rewarded with money in the form of MS points. Besides most of the lols to be had here are a result of how dumb it is to ask someone to make a papercraft cake on their birthday, then tweet them a picture for a "personalised message" which could have just as easily been generated by the same bot and put in the email itself.

Top Bottom